Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Seattle 3 Day Recap----Day 3!!

Day 3 is still like a dream to me, two weeks later.  There is so much adrenaline pumping through you as you walk these 60 miles.  We did wake up in our cozy warm (dry) bed on Sunday morning to the sound of pouring rain.  Good call on the taxi home, I might add.  The alarm was set for 5 a.m. with the taxi arriving at 6:30.  Showers felt wonderful and I spent at least 30 minutes building up moleskin and padding around my blisters to protect them in my tennis shoes.  Fanny packs ready and here comes the taxi.  $30 later, we arrive at the starting zone at Northwest Outpatient, a place that holds nothing but great karma for me :-)

We don't see any of our team mates yet, but with the rain coming down, we don't want to wait either.  We collect our route cards and off we go, knowing we will be heading east to come up to Capitol Hill and then ending at Seattle Center somewhow.  Today's route card looks vastly easier than the prior two days:

15.2 Miles, Baby!!

We head down Meridian Avenue, partially around Green Lake and south. 





 Terry and I have decided that I should sweep up the hill when we get to Capitol Hill, so when we get that far, I sweep uphill, less than a mile (with LOTS of other people I might add) and wait for him at Volunteer Park, the lunch stop.  The most annoying thing though is that I know I could tackle that hill, no problem, under normal circumstances.  Oh well, onward and upward.  People are panting and huffing as they make the top of that hill and my husband is no exception.  We take a photo by the cute sign.  I felt as if I could be the mascot of the "Island of Owie"!



But I really loved seeing this guy who showed up with pink roses and waited for someone to reach the top of the hill


And this guy, one of many firefighters who walked all 60 miles in full gear, with tanks on their backs


After the usual lunch of sandwich, fruit and chips, Terry heads off on foot downhill to the waterfront while I board yet another sweep van to meet him there.  It's 2.8 miles, the longest sweep I had done yet, but I told him I wanted to walk the final last 5 miles even if it killed me.  Fortunately, the rain is starting to break at this point, at people are out in masses at the waterfront.  I am ready to WALK! 

When we get to the waterfront, the energy is starting to build.  The sun is shining and people are cheering!  We walk through this pathway of cheerleaders...




It was so fun to feel
like a rock star!





As we leave the pier, we head north to walk through Sculpture Park.  How awesome is this?






Looking back, I see this glorious sight



The Space Needle is in view, so we know we are minutes from reaching the holding area.  And I have no idea what is in store for us. 

As we near Seattle Center, we hear ROARS of cheering.  We round the corner and the thousands of people that are here is overwhelming.  They are cheering us on, cheering us in and unemotional me (ha!) starts crying like  a baby all of the way in to the holding area.  People are hugging me, saying "awesome job" high-fiving Terry and it is overwhelming






At this moment, I feel like Rocky.  Strong, successful, courageous, amazing!  Foot pain, WHAT foot pain?????    We enter the holding area where this darling girl hands me a rose and we get our walker T Shirts



I have to admit, I am very happy that I carried my flip flops on my fanny pack all day today.  There was nothing sweeter than taking my tennis shoes off and putting flip flops on. 
Everyone else was very envious of me!

We waited for all of the walkers to arrive, which took about another hour or so. 




 I have been text messaging with my sister in law, who was in the stands, as were all of our kids.

We all leave the holding area together and in mass, walk into Memorial Stadium.  I can imagine football players running through the tunnel where we are now walking.  The people in the stands are cheering and the music is playing. 


Everyone is jubilant and I am handed a flag to hold during the ceremonies.  That makes me Happy!  As the ceremonies begin, the emotions are again high.  The survivor circle is saluted with a one shoe salute by the rest of the walkers



When the flag is raised in honor of those lost, it brings the entire 3 days to closure. 




When I had lunch with a friend yesterday, she asked me if I would ever do the 3 day walk again.

My answer, without skipping a beat, was "In a heartbeat."

It was by far, the most adventurous, brave and ambitious thing I have ever done.  Pitfalls, knees, blisters and all.  It was an experience of a lifetime.  As far as 2011?  Terry and I have signed up to be on the Seattle 3 day Crew!




No comments:

Post a Comment