Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Motivators

Yesterday I sent out my final pre-walk email. Being $500 from my personal $3,000 fundraising goal propelled me to try one last time to reach for it. I am serious about my goals and am excited to report that at this point (4:10 a.m. on Tuesday morning.....can't sleep!) I am $78 from that goal! Another reason for sending out that email was to give information regarding the route, the cheering stations, the fact that we will be on a bus headed to opening ceremonies at 4:30 a.m. on Friday morning (see I am just in training this morning with the no-sleep zone). But the most important part of that email was for The Motivators.

The Motivators are those people that created in me the desire to take part in the 3 day. They are the ones that are my heros. Each of them had to hear the words "You have Cancer." The moment they heard that word, their lives changed forever. FOREVER. The months that followed involved so many doctor visits that juggling life had to have been difficult. Some lost their hair, some didn't. Some lost a breast, some didn't. Some lost their life, some didn't. All of them fought a gallant battle. All of them are my motivators.

My Mom. 82, white haired, shrinking to under 5 feet, survivor of polio, daily swimmer, fiesty, beautiful, breast cancer survivor.
Mom is the warm cookies and milk Mom and Grandma.  How lucky were we to have her as our Mom?  Especially with an ex-Marine strict father, she was a great balance and a soft place to fall.  She was diagnosed with breast cancer 2 years ago at the age of 80.  She is religious about her healthcare, so they found it early during a routine mammogram.  Early detection saved her from advanced breast cancer.  I love you Mom.

Jan Cone Boyd, friend of the family since she was 9 or 10, tall, witty, funny and as it turns out, fiercely brave.  Jan's breast cancer affected me greatly.  It was advanced.  It was one of the rare types that do not respond well to treatment.  Jan went through chemo and radiation.  She lost her hair and it came back in this baby soft curly mop that was adorable.
She fought a gallant fight and the world gained another angel when she was 42.   42.  I am 52.  I often hear Jan's laugh in my head and I know, that she is glad I am doing this walk.


Bonnnie Ronan, Mom, health care provider, marathon runner, breast cancer survivor.  Bonnie and I cross paths every few years and I keep vowing to change that, but haven't yet.  I admire her greatly.  When our daughter Teryl got married last year, the bridal shower was at Bonnie's house.  The morning of the shower, Bonnie was running a marathon.  A marathon.  26.2 miles.  She was in the shower when I arrived and came out looking fresh as a daisy.  Bonnie has done the 3 day, she has also done the Race for the Cure with her daughter Kelly (one of Teryl's best friends from high school and also one of my biggest cheerleaders....remember pink duct tape??) and probably a lot more philanthropic events than I am aware of.



Kelly and Bonnie Ronan at Race for the Cure

Bonnie is a rock star and the best example of survivor that I can imagine.  On my list post-walk is a phone call to Bonnie.  I promise.


Jessica Rench and I have yet to meet in person....but I know she is a rock star.  Jess is the girlfriend  fiance of Adam, son of my dear friends Timm and Susan Fair.   Jess was diagnosed with breast cancer this year.  She was 31.  31.  When someone you are connected to fights a chronic life-threatening illness at such a young age, it affects you.  Jess created a blog to keep her family and friends up-to-date as she embarked upon the journey of chemo and radiation and doctors visits.  Her blog is a how-to-book for others to follow who are facing breast cancer.  I love the name too, http://jesswearspink.blogspot.com/


Jess was also featured in a local magazine in an article about breast cancer.  Here she is getting ready for her photo shoot.  Have you ever seen anyone so beautiful?  Me neither.  Jess and Adam are looking forward to a long and happy life together as they plan their 2011 wedding. 
Maybe I will finally get to meet her in person.


Penny Quinn, mother, grandmother.  In my business, I am so lucky to meet wonderful people and maintain contact with many of them years beyond a house sale or purchase.  Chris and Ashley Quinn bought their first home 5 or 6 years ago.  The cutest couple ever with a darling little boy.  It is so fun working with first time home buyers....they are so excited, everything is new and I get to be a part of such an important thing in their lives. 





The emails that I sent out after I signed up for the 3 day, revealed to me how many people have been touched by this disease.  Ashley shared with me that Chris had lost his Mom to breast cancer.  I will be honored to carry Penny's photo with me every step of the way. 

 
And one last addition.  Just yesterday I was emailing a client and told her I would not be available this weekend because I was participating in the 3 day.  Her response was immediate and incredible.  "Do you have sponsors, oh my gosh I didn't know, this is near and dear to my heart."  After she promised to donate, she shared with me that she is a breast cancer survivor.  Twice over.  So is her Mom.  So, even in daily contact with someone you may not even know that breast cancer has been a part of their lives. 


So Linda McNeal,  I walk for you.  I have been amazed at your strength and courage through family illnesses and life changes and challenges.  You epitomize the word strength. 

These are The Motivators.

No comments:

Post a Comment