Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Seattle's 3 Day Info Released!

As I have been nursing my knee (yep, icing 5 X a day and now taking prescription anti-inflamatory Rx) I have been focusing on the upcoming 3 day.  As I write this, we are T - 16 days.  Yikes!  The information from the Susan G Komen site is trickled out....little bits here and there.  We know the cheering stations are:


Friday Sept 24
8:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Red Robin - Just south MIll Creek - north of the 405 Frwy
21215 Bothell-Everett Highway
Bothell, WA 98201

12:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Silver Lake Shopping Center - Just north of Silver Lake
112th St. SE and 19th Ave. SE
Everett, WA 98208

Saturday, September 25
8:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
Jackson Elementary - just north of Forest Park
3700 Federal Ave.
Everett, WA 98201

11:45 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Fluke Corporation
9028 Evergreen Way
Everett, WA 98204

Sunday, September 26
10:45 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Cal Anderson Park - Capital Hill - 11th & Pine
1635 11th Ave.
Seattle, WA 98122


Oh my God, it is so REAL now!  I missed last weekend's back-to-backs and my husband, BMOTP (Best Man on the Planet) did both days.  20 miles on Saturday and 16 on Sunday.  He does fine!  No blisters, no leg pains, but he does get some lower back pain.  Otherwise, he is a trooper!  I wanted to be on those walks :-(  This weekend's back-to-backs are the last long walks before THE walk.  In the meanwhile, I will be focusing on shorter walks, lots of stretching and continuing the icing.  If I feel anything in my knee, I am going to go back for a cortisone shot.  That is my job right now.  Get this leg back in SHAPE. 

The little details for the walk are what to pack, what to pack it in, etc.  It is ideal to have a large rolling duffel.  One big enough to pack your clothes, your air mattress, sleeping bag and pillow.  Um, that is a lot to pack in one bag.  Plus the weight limit is 35 lbs.  I did some looking last week when I was at Ross and they had large suitcases for $59.  I didn't buy them because, well they are suitcases.  We are light travelers, after our Rick Steves training, so the reality is that we will not likely use ginormous (yes, that is a word) suitcases again.  Terry checked online and ol, no I don't want to spend $100 + per bag.  So we checked Overstock and Terry found 36" soft sided rolling duffels for $59 with $2.90 shipping.  Ok, order those puppies!  We borrowed an air mattress and sleeping bags from the kids and will practice inflating the mattress in the upcoming days.  I have started a 3 day box.  There isn't much in it yet:


I have earplugs, a hook for my clothes bag in the shower trailer, a bandana, buff, my PINK Duct tape, the beginnings of our tent decoration and giant Zip Lock bags.  It is just a start!  There are so many things to think about. 

We will be spending Thursday night before the walk in a hotel in Bellevue with the rest of the team.  We have a team dinner planned that night and then when we wake up in the morning, buses will transport us to the opening ceremonies and a ridiculous hour of maybe 5:00 a.m..  The word is that day 1 and 2 will actually be 23 miles and day 3 will be 14. 

My lists are ever growing.  I can't believe we are so close to the start of an adventure that began last April.  I have such a new appreciation for all of the people before me that have trained for this event, have walked it, have raised the money and given up their personal time so that we can find a cure for breast cancer.  It is such an honor to be part of that group.  Each day, each step, each dollar raised, is the cumulative result of people working together for a cause.  My granddaughter's birthday is tomorrow.  She will be 6.  It is my hope that in her lifetime she will no longer have to worry about breast cancer.  I would do anything to make that dream a reality. 

No comments:

Post a Comment