Monday, June 7, 2010

10 Mile Training Walk and Expo

I'll admit it.  I didn't get a whole lot of mileage in this week with the soggy weather we are having.  Is this really June??  We did walk about 12 miles when we were in Roche Harbor last weekend, but since then, my walks this week were minimal.  "I'll walk when the rain stops" turned into not walking.  On Saturday, we met up with 50 other walkers at Shoreline Community College for a pre-expo 10 mile walk.  We kept up a good pace and we were closer to the front of the pack than the back.  We finished the 10 miles in 3 hours with 2 pit stops, which I thought was pretty good.  At about mile 8, I did feel a very small pepple in my right shoe.  I ignored it because we were so close to the finish line.  Boy, did I regret THAT!  The bottom of my right heel was so dang sore from that little pebble.

Tath, our training leader, has told us repeatedly to stop if you need to.  She hurt herself pretty badly on the walk one year because she ignored her body.  She had felt a tightness in her leg that she ignored because she was on a roll and didn't want to stop.  A few minutes later she felt a "ping" and was down on the ground in pain after pulling her hamstring muscle.  So basically, I didn't heed her advice and I was in pain for most of the day.  Stupid me.  I will try to be better about that next time.

After the walk, we went into the expo, which was pretty interesting.  they had pink tents set up, which thankfully, were a little larger than I had imagined.  We learned what things to pack and how to pack them.  Simple things like a camping headlamp for those post-darkness trips to the bathroom.  Handheld flashlights don't work as well because once you get into the porta potty, um, what do you do with the flashlight?  Also, tips like fashioning an S hook out of a coat hanger to hang your plastic bag with clothes while you shower, and packing each day's worth of clothes in a separate plastic bag.  It was interesting and there were lots of people there.  On one wall was a huge 3 day banner for Seattle.  We were encouraged to write on the banner and then it will be at the closing ceremonies.  I dedicated my walk to Jan, to Jess and to Mom.  All of them are my continual inspiration. 

Once we got home, we hopped in the hot tub (which never feels quite as fabulous as after a LONG walk) and had breakfast.  Next weekend is Jonathan's wedding, so there won't be time for a long training walk.  We are so excited about the wedding and can't believe it is finally here!

To date, I have $1820 of my $3,000 goal and that just from 2 emails!  What fabulous friends and family I have.  Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment