Sunday, July 18, 2010

Chubby Girl Walked 15 Miles!

3 months ago, I was so excited when I walked my first 6 miles, then 7 and on and on.  Yesterday's walk was 15 miles and chubby girl made it!  There were a lot of pit stops and about 20 people on the training walk.  I seem to start out a little slower and then gain strength and speed as time and miles go on.  Others, who start out strong and fast, sometimes end up behind me, or as in yesterday, end up in the sweep van.  I am learning to trust my pace.  A steady 3.0-3.25 mph pace.  Tath, our team leader and a group of 4 other younger girls probably walk about 3.5 mph pace.  So I am consistently behind them.  But there are also people behind me. That's ok!  At the 4th pit stop, I was getting antsy to be done.  We have a busy weekend and lots of things to get done and the clock was ticking away.  It takes a long time to walk 15 miles, plus add 15-20 minutes per pit stop plus a 30 minute lunch break and it really takes a lot of time.  So after pit stop 4, a group of about 6 of us started out in front of the pack.  We skipped the last pit stop and went for the finish line.  I was tired, yes, but I was OK.  I knew I could walk another 5 miles, like I will need to do on the 3 day walk.  It is empowering!  This 52 year old chubby girl non-athelete knows she can do it.  That is powerful knowledge! 

The 3 day is about so many things:  raising money for breast cancer research, challenging one's physical and mental stamina, empowering those who have fought, won the battle or lost someone to breast cancer.  It is also about the journey.  Each day of this commitment is a new experience.  The training, each additional mile, the people you meet who have been touched by this disease.  Enjoy the moment.  Enjoy the experience.  I for one, plan to.

No comments:

Post a Comment