Friday, July 16, 2010

Virtual Personal Trainer -- The Weekly Dread

Every Friday morning, as I sit at my computer with my coffee, I get an email from the Susan G. Komen Foundation called "Your weekly virtual trainer".  In the beginning (11 weeks ago) these were exciting to receive.  Easy to work all of that walking into my week, I looked forward to the motivation I felt every Friday morning.  This morning, this is what my email contained:

Countdown: 10 Weeks




Your Training Schedule for This Week:



Monday Rest

Tuesday 4 miles Easy walking

Wednesday 30 minutes Moderate cross-training

Thursday 5 miles Moderate walking

Friday 45 minutes Easy cross-training

Saturday 14 miles Easy walking

Sunday 10 miles Easy walking

 
So, I am totally great with the schedule through Friday.  Even Saturday.  But those back-to-back long days are difficult to achieve when life is as busy as it is right now.  While I could technically do these walks during the week, walking any further than 6 miles on your own is boring.  On the weekend training walks, we just show up and Tath has the whole route planned.  It's like boot camp.....show up and before you know it, you are done.  No thinking involved.  Maybe I am just feeling guilty about the fact that I am not planning to do the group walk on Sunday.  We are having company for dinner tonight, walking 15 miles tomorrow, going to a wedding reception tomorrow night, walking Sunday morning (maybe 6 miles while the group is walking 9) and to a concert Sunday afternoon.  Never mind that work is BUSY and there is lots to do, never mind that I haven't vacuumed my house since we got home, never mind that our yard is a disaster.  Life is BUSY. 
 
There are 10 weeks left until the 3 day.  Each weekend is going to be progressively more involved in training.  I need to figure out a way to make it all work.  I need to not feel so guilty when I miss a day.  I did walk 7.25 miles on Wednesday evening.  I will be walking 15 miles tomorrow.  I will walk at least 6 miles on Sunday. 
 
But then I think of Jess.  Jess who just had a double mastectomy.  Jess who is working on raising her arm again.  Jess, who for the past 6 months has been going through chemo, then surgery, now recovery.  Jess, who didn't get to choose what she was going to do instead of chemo.  This is why I am walking.  It isn't easy.  Cancer is waaayyy harder. 
 
So, CJ, Chubby Girl, get out there! 
 
I will report back on Monday :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment