Sunday, August 29, 2010

Saturday's 18 mile walk turned into 12

Saturday's scheduled 18 mile walk turned into 19 miles for Terry and 12 for me.  We started out at Alderwood Mall and covered the enormous hill on 164th and then another long hill up through Mill Creek.  Everything was fine.  Well, let me back up.  The foot blisters were evident at pit stop 1.  The duct tape was moving and wrinkling, just like the mole skin had in prior weeks.  At pit stop 2,  I reapplied the duct tape and while I could feel the blisters, they were tolerable to walk on. After the two hills and at about mile 9, I felt a weird pull in my left knee.  It kept happening in kind of a pulsing manner until I almost screamed in pain.  So I stopped and tried to stretch it.  It went away and I walked another 1/2 mile and back it came POW! I decided I had better stop and ice it, so I called Tath to have the sweep van come get me.  We were only a mile from lunch, so I put ice on it, took 2 Aleve and elevated it. 

While I was in the van, I redressed my feet.  I went back to moleskin since I wasn't having great luck with the duct tape.  I cut a hole out for the blister and then wrapped by foot and heel in athletic tape.  I iced my knee through lunch and it felt fine, so I decided to get back to the walk.   At pit stop #1 after lunch I continued to feel great.  Yes!  I had slowed my pace to begin with, just to make sure everything was OK.  At pit stop #2 I talked to Olwen (the nurse) and she said I should ice it at every pit stop.  OK, I will definitely do that at the next one.  About 2 miles later .....POW!  It came back just like that and was so bad I couldn't even put weight on my left foot.  I went back into the sweep van and iced it the rest of the walk.  Terry finished the walk while lame old me sat in the van.

After we went home, I continued to ice my knee and this morning it is still swollen.  Probably not a good idea to walk on it so I decided not to walk today.  I will be calling the Dr first thing in the morning.  I've got to figure it out.  And quickly.

Moral of the story....if it's not one thing it's another!!

1 comment:

  1. Bummer! You need to really take care of that knee! I'm sorry that you are having feet and knee issues :(

    ReplyDelete