Sunday, May 16, 2010

8 Mile Training Walk -- the day after

Yesterday was another group training walk.  This one was for 8 miles and included 3 or 4 long uphill climbs.  We live in Seattle, so hills are a reality.  There is no way to plan a 60 mile walk without hills, so training is important.  Our leader Tath, has walked for 9 years and is a great resource for training and preparing for the big 3 day event.  I felt fine on the walk.  At the end though I do have a little soft spot on my right heel that feels like a pre-blister.  It is important to condition our feet for blister prevention.  Socks, shoes and plain walking preparation are important.

This morning, I am a little sore.  Not "oh my God" sore.  But I can definitely feel different muscles.  Different than boot camp (where I feel sore almost every day after).  My quads, that spot on my heel and a little bit on my shins.  You would think that when you walk nearly every day, that you wouldn't be sore.  But distance makes a difference!  We started at 7:45 a.m. and ended around 11:00, including 3 15-20 minute breaks. The pace is 3.25-3.5 miles per hour.  Tath tells us that at that pace, we will not be the fastest or the slowest.  It is just a good steady pace to be able to continue for 60 miles.

I hear repeatedly that training is the most important thing we can do.  I believe it!  After walking 8 miles, I realized that we wouldn't even be to the lunch pit stop on the actual 3 day walk.  Yowza.  That puts it into perspective!

As my wise cousin Rae Ann said on my Facebook page, don't think about how far you have to go, think how far you've come.  Wiser words were never spoken!

No comments:

Post a Comment