Monday, May 3, 2010

First Group Training Walk

Yesterday, I joined up with a local training walk. My husband Terry joined me, as did my sister-in-law Linda. They are both considering doing the walk with me.




There are leaders that plan weekend walk routes, so that all you need to do is show up and walk. No thinking, no pre-checking the mileage, just walk. Our leader has walked for 8 years. This year she is walking in 3 cities. Something about meeting people like her, makes you realize you aren't crazy for doing the walk. You feel a little more crazy that you didn't do it before.



The group walk was a good way to meet other people and also to check out my new fanny pack. All the walkers carry fanny packs or back packs. I don't like things on my back, especially if it's hot outside, so fanny pack was the way to go. Except, the water bottles that come with the pack need a training video to learn to drink from them. Squeeze, tilt, bite (bit not too hard) suck. This stream of water comes out, but it's not enough water for me. I like a nice big gulp. Not a stream. See, it's the simple things you learn as you train for the walk. :-)



Yesterday's walk was 5.2 miles and over 12,000 steps. Next week it's 6 miles. In a few weeks, the walks will be over 10 miles. That is when those fanny packs will become extra important. The walks also introduce you to survivors. Amazing people that have been stricken by, and risen above, cancer. You also meet people that have lost someone. Each story, each person, is part of a collectively powerful group of people walking. I feel stronger for just saying yes to the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment